Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Navigation Navigation






Search Handshake for jobs, internships,
events and more!





Learning Commons, 1st Floor

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

to schedule an appointment!


Travel Travel

What do I need if I want to leave the U.S. and re-enter as a student?

  • A valid Form I-20 with a travel signature signed within the past year.
  • A passport that is valid at least six months into the future.
  • A valid F-1 visa (except Canadian citizens)
  • Proof of Financial Support

Always check your travel signature before you leave the U.S. The travel signature is located on page 2 of your I-20 Form. It is valid for one year from the date of signature, 6 months if you are on Optional Practical Training.

Why do I need to have my Form I-20 signed for re-entry to the U.S.?  Why do I need a "travel signature"?

The Form I-20 is a federal document that verifies that you are a full-time student in valid F-1 non-immigrant status. The form must be signed by any Curry DSO to confirm that you are currently maintaining your student status and are eligible to re-enter the U.S. to continue your studies.

When/How can I get my Form I-20 signed for travel?

You should make an appointment with the Center for Global and Career Services via this link.  You must bring all your original immigration documents with you to your appointment.  You should plan to have your Form I-20 signed well in advance of travel outside of the U.S.

What if I want to travel to Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island for less than 30 days and my F-1 visa is expired?

If you have a valid passport, an expired F-1 visa, a Form I-20 with an up-to-date travel signature, and an entry stamp in your passport indicating that you have been admitted for Duration of Studies (D/S) you can re-enter the U.S. in valid F-1 status as long as your trip is less than 30 days.  You can tell the border official that you are taking advantage of "automatic visa revalidation".  Currently, this benefit does not apply to citizens of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.  In addition, if you decide to renew your visa in Canada, Mexico, or any adjacent island and your visa is denied, you may not re-enter the U.S. on automatic visa revalidation.