Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Navigation Navigation






Search Handshake for jobs, internships,
events and more!





Learning Commons, 1st Floor

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

to schedule an appointment!


Employment Employment

Can I work in the United States?

Yes, students may work on campus as early as their first semester at Curry.  Students must complete two full-time semesters before they are eligible to work off campus.  Off-campus work requires authorization in advance.

What are the options for on-campus employment authorization?

Students in valid F-1 status can work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during official college breaks. No official work permission is required.  Once students receive an offer from an on-campus employer, they must apply for a Social Security Number, more information at this link.

What are the options for off-campus employment authorization?

Once an F-1 student has completed two consecutive semesters of full-time study at their home university they are eligible to apply for the following employment authorizations:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) occurs before a student's I-20 end date and can only be approved for training (in most cases internships) that are required for a student's major area of study or for an internship approved for Curry College academic credit.  Authorization is for one specific employer and period of time. Please note one full year of full-time CPT eliminates a student's eligibility for OPT. A Curry College DSO can approve students for CPT in SEVIS.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a 12-month work authorization for students seeking off-campus employment in the United States in their fields of study. Students do not need to have a specific job offer to apply for OPT and are eligible for a 12-month period of OPT at every level of education.  Students must apply through USCIS, application instructions are at this link.

Can I get a Social Security number or a Massachusetts Driver's License?

F-1 students may apply for a Social Security number if they have an on-campus employment offer or have off-campus employment authorization.  More information here.

Will I have to file U.S. tax forms?

Yes! Most students will need to file at least one tax form.  Students in F-1 status who have been in the U.S. for less than 5 years are usually considered nonresidents for tax purposes and must file the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 8843.  Those who have had a U.S. source of income or receive a scholarship or financial aid must also file Form 1040NR or 1040NREZ and some may have to file a Massachusetts State income tax return.